Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I saw it I did it

Well I made Dave do it. I saw all of these really fantastic NOEL signs over the holidays. They were in Pottery Barn and Southern Living... All over the place. They were expensive! So I saw a post on Pinterest (www.pinterest.com if you have no clue what I'm talking about!) where someone did it themselves. I rushed literally right out to my local Craft crack supplier, Hobby Lobby, and bought these very thin letters at 1.99 a piece, and a can of glitter green spray paint for about 5 bucks and told Dave to get to work. He glued them together with Popsicle sticks across the back, hooking the letters together basically. Small brackets or picture hooks would have worked but you would have to glue due to the thickness of the letters.

We let that dry and then laid the whole thing out on a tarp and sprayed. The glitter paint was a little difficult because it kept globbing up on the nozzle, but just wipe it off. Feather the paint in quick sprays, but make sure the paint stream is off the letters before stopping the spray. Makes a lot of sense huh? Trial and error worked really well and the errors didn't show up at all. Let this puppy dry outside because we all almost went stupid from the fumes!

We hung it on the wall with a small nail and painted the head with a little of the green paint. I love this! And I had never seen glitter spray paint before, so that was also pretty exciting. Most of the colors were out but it comes in red, green, gold, pink, silver, and black. There may be more but that's what my store had. I would love to make another one next year that says "joy" or something else holiday appropriate. Maybe "I'm broke" :-)

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Way to get crafty mid-week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't lie...I made this before Christmas. I'll make something this week for next week..promise!

      Delete
  2. That looks great! And yay for making something you found on pinterest!

    ReplyDelete